Heightened security and heavy rain at Gallipoli this year have not stopped large crowds from flocking to the 2016 commemorations.
As the pilgrimage began government officials were also quick to deny the Lone Pine service was not dropped from the Anzac Day schedule because of the heightened alert in place on the peninsula.
Veterans Affairs Minister Dan Tehan said that following a review of last year’s centenary commemorations at Gallipoli it was decided to shift the Lone Pine service to August 6 each year.
However, he also rejected claims that concerns about hygiene and lack of facilities at last year’s Lone Pine event were a factor in the decision.
Mr Tehan said that August 6 was deemed more appropriate – the date in 1915 when Australian troops launched an offensive against dug-in Turkish troops at Lone Pine where some 800 Australians died.
Another 1500 were wounded that day and seven Victoria Crosses were won.
Πηγή: Daily Mail UK